Ho De Leong
A Civil Engineer by training, he currently holds the following key positions:
- Founding member and Chairman of The Waste Management Association of Malaysia (WMAM), a National Member of ISWA,
- Board Member of International Solid Waste Association, ISWA. RDN Asia Pacific Rep.
- Founding member of Asia Pacific Waste and Environmental Association (APWEA).
- Chief Operating Officer of SWM Environment Sdn Bhd, a Concession company for the privatisation of solid waste management in the Southern Region of Malaysia
- Director of companies involved in waste management projects in Malaysia, Singapore and China.
He held various positions from Resident Engineer to General Manager in charge of various water supply projects after graduating from the UK in 1980.
After leading the Consortium to a successful tender for the National Privatization of Solid Waste Management and Public Cleansing Services in 1995 he was appointed COO of SWM Environment which was awarded the concession for the management of solid waste and public cleansing services in 27 local authorities in the Southern Region of Malaysia and the company has grown from a several hundred staff in 1997 to more than 8000 employees today with a fleet of more than 1000 vehicles.
As Chairman of WMAM since 2007, he has been actively involved in promoting Waste Management in Malaysia through WMAM, the association which he co-founded in 2005. In 2014 he was elected as a Board Member of ISWA in charge of Regional Development Network for Asia Pacific region. In 2015, he led WMAM to a successful bid to host the ISWA World Congress for 2018 which will be held in Kuala Lumpur in October 2018.